Waagashi Tomato Stew
Spicy tomato stew cooked witih anise seeds and white local cheese
- Chopping Board
- Sharp knife
- Glass Mixing Bowl
- Frying Pan
- Sauce Pan
- Wooden Spatula
- 3 Whole Local Cheese Waagashi
- 5 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion Sliced
- 1 Medium Red Onion Chopped
- 4 Red Chilli
- 200 g Tomato Paste
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Anise Seed
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- Cut local cheese into cubes, place in a bowl, add salt, water and let soak for 10 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat, add the cheese and fry until golden brown.
- Take out from the oil and set aside.
- Blend tomatoes, red onion, garlic and red chilli into a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil used to fry the cheese, add anise seeds, yellow onion, stir and let sweat for a minute.
- Add tomato paste, stir and let simmer for 3 minutes, then add the blended mixture.
- Stir and let simmer down for 7 minutes, then add nutmeg, black pepper, salt, stir and let simmer.
- Add the fried cheese stir and let it simmer for 3 minuets.
- Waagashi tomato stew ready to serve.