Koobi Stew with Roasted Yam
- Hot Grill
- Sharp knife
- Wooden Spatula
- On a hot grill, add slices of yam, plantain, and whole dry salted fish. Grill until cooked through for 5 minutes on both sides, transfer the fish to a deep bowl, and allow the yam and plantain to finish cooking.
- Pour hot water to cover it fully and let it soak for 30 minutes. Change the water repeatedly to reduce the salt content in the fish.
- Drain the water and flake the fish off the bones and discard the bones leaving the head for the stew.
- In a pan over medium heat, pour in palm oil, allow it to heat then add diced onions and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add in the soaked fish heads and fry for 5 minutes on both sides.
- Add in garlic paste, ginger paste, diced tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper, and shrimp powder stir to combine, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the fish flakes and allow to cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve the Koobi stew with roasted yam and plantain slices.