Spicy Oxtail Okra & Cabbage Stew
Spicy stew made with oxtail, okra and chopped cabbage.
- Sauce Pan
- Wooden Spatula
- Chopping Board
- Sharp knife
- 1 Kg Oxtail
- 1 Medium Onion Sliced
- 1 Tsp Ground Grains of Paradise
- 1 Tsp Grains of Selim
- 1 Tsp Salt
- For the Stew;
- 1 Kg Okra (Grated & Sliced)
- ½ cup Palm Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (Sliced)
- 2 Stockfish
- 1 cup Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Blended)
- 3 tbsp Herrings Powder
- 1 Small Cabbage (Chopped)
- 1½ cup Stock
- ½ Tsp Salt
- Pour the oxtail into a saucepan over medium heat, add sliced onion, ground grains of paradise, grains of selim, salt, water, cover and let cook on medium-high heat for 1 hour 35 minutes.
- Slice ¼ part of the okra, grate the remaining and set aside.
- Heat palm oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add sliced onions, stir until translucent, then add the stockfish and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the scotch bonnet pepper, stir and let simmer for 2 minutes before adding the herrings powder, stirring continuously.
- Add the chopped cabbage, stir, add the cooked oxtail, stir it in, then add the stock, stir and allow the cabbage to wilt for 3 minutes.
- Add the grated okra, stir in and add the remaining stock and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the slice okra, salt, stir and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spicy oxtail okra and cabbage stew ready to serve.
- NB; okra can be cut to suit your palate but for this recipe I wanted to have a good draw soup effect, yet beautifully textured, that’s why the grating and slicing was applied.