Wrewre Fried Chicken
Seasoned chicken deep-fried in flour coating.
- Sauce Pan
- Glass Mixing Bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Plastic foil
- 1 Cup Melon Seeds Wrewre
- 2 Large Chicken Thighs Halved
- A Handful of Fresh Basil Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 3 Cloves of Garlic Minced
- 1 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 500 ml Water for Blending
- 300 ml Soaking
- For the Breading;
- 2 Cups Semolina
- 1 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Flour
- 3 Eggs For Egg wash
- 1½ Litres Vegetable Oil For Frying
- Pour the melon seeds into a pan and toast for 3 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl, add water and soak for 10 minutes.
- Rinse and pour into a blender, add water and blend into a smooth mixture.
- Strain into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Take off heat and set aside.
- Season the chicken thigh with chopped basil leaves, smoked paprika, garlic, black pepper and salt.
- Pour the boiled melon juice on the seasoned chicken, stir, cover with cling film and let marinate for 2 hours.
- Season the semolina with cayenne pepper and salt, then set aside.
- Coat each piece of the marinated chicken with the flour, shake off excess flour, then dip into the egg wash before coating with the semolina.
- Deep-fry in a heated vegetable oil for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Wrewre fried chicken ready to serve.