Fried Eto Balls
Cooked plantain is mashed and moulded into balls and deep-fried.
- Sauce Pan
- Food Flipper
- Ceramic Bowl
- Frying Pan
- 3 Semi-ripe Plantains
- 4 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Roasted Peanuts
- ¼ Cup Palm Oil
- 10 Quail Eggs Hard Boiled
- 2 Eggs For Egg Wash
- 2 Cups Bread Crumbs
- 1½ Litres Vegetable Oil For Frying
- Peel and cut plantains into halves, put the plantain into a saucepan, add water, cover and let cook for 10-12 minutes. Take off heat strain and set aside.
- Pour the scotch bonnet pepper into an earthen ware bowl, add onion, salt and grind into a smooth mixture. Add toasted peanut and grind.
- Heat palm oil in a small sauce pan, pour on the mixture and mix together.
- Add the cooked plantain and mash into a smooth mixture.
- Scoop a spoonful of the mashed plantain, mold into golf ball sizes, then make a dent with your thumb in the middle.
- Add the cooked quail egg, use your fingers to seal the egg and roll between your fingers to smoothen the mold before setting it on a plate.
- Continue with the remaining plantain mixture and quail eggs.
- Dip the molded plantain in the egg wash, then coat with the bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in heated vegetable oil for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Fried eto balls ready to serve.