Housa Kooko (Spiced Millet Porridge)
Porridge made with grinded millet residue and ginger
- Glass Mixing Bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Sauce Pan
- 1 Cup Millet
- 1 Medium Ginger
- 1 Tsp Cloves
- 1 Tsp Black Peppercorn
- 4 Dried Red Chilli
- Wash and soak millet overnight.
- Rinse and add ginger, dried red chilli, cloves, black peppercorn and blend into a smooth mixture.
- Strain twice with a fine silk mesh, cover and let sit to set for 4 hours or more so the liquid submerges and the paste settles at the bottom.
- Drain the liquid and set aside.
- Mix the residue with cold water or the drained fermented water and set aside.
- Bring about 500ml water to a boil.
- Take off the heat and place on a rack.
- Add the residue mixture and stir continuously to prevent lumps and until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the ladle.
- Housa kooko ready to serve.