4 - 6 PEOPLE
- 1 Kg Cow Leg (Chopped)
- 1 Medium Onion (Sliced)
- 1 Tsp of Dried Chives
- 1 Tsp of Dried Oregano
- 1 ½ Tsp of Salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp Salt Petre
- ½ Cup of Palm Oil
- 1 Tbsp of Crayfish Powder
- 1 Large Red Chilli (Chopped)
- 1 Tsp of Ground African Orchid Nutmeg
- A handful of Utazi Leaves (Sliced)
- 1 Medium Onion (Cut Into Rings For Garnish)
- Pour the chopped cow leg into a saucepan over medium heat, add sliced onion, dried chives, oregano, salt, water, cover and boil until soft for 60 minutes and set aside.
- Dissolve the salt petre in water, strain and set aside.
- Pour the palm oil into a saucepan, add the salt petre mixture and stir until you notice the palm oil starts to curdle and turn yellow.
- Keep stirring till all the palm oil is thick and yellow.
- Add the crayfish, chopped chilli, ground orchid nutmeg and stir in.
- Place the palm oil mixture back on the stove on low heat, add the cooked meat and stir to coat evenly for a minute.
- Nkowbi ready to serve. Garnish with sliced utazi leaves and onion rings.
- NB: Make sure you don’t over cook it when you put the palm oil back on the stove, else the palm oil will dissolve back to its oily state.